We are officially in pregnancy panic mode. On Wednesday, we had a busy day gardening and then going to the fair for Canada Day. On the way back from the fair I started feeling tight and uncomfortable. By the time we got home, I was having contractions and also sharp, stabbing pains when I was on my feet. I waited a few hours, taking it easy, drinking and laying down, but nothing changed.
A call to the midwives came with the advice to have a nice warm bath, lay down and call them in an hour. Still nothing changed so we met at the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitor and I was having regular contractions every 7-9 minutes. When they checked me, my cervix was 1cm dilated, soft and only 2cm long.
They gave me steroids for the baby's lungs, an IV for antibiotics and fluids, and monitored me all night long. The contractions hadn't changed one way or the other so I managed to convince the OB (they switched care) that I should go home to rest and would come back if anything changed and would be back on that night for an ultrasound, 2nd steroid shot, and additional monitoring.
For now, I'm on strict bed rest and can't return to work. They'll reassess on Monday and I'll have a better idea if the bed rest is permanent or if I can go back on modified hours after a week.
If the contractions get worse or my cervix continues to change I have to be admitted to a Level 3 hospital (with a high risk neo-natal unit) which could be anywhere from Hamilton to Ottawa or even in Buffalo!!
I had a complete panic moment on Wednesday when I realized that if this baby comes early, we don't have any diapers, a place for the baby to sleep, any clothes washed, or even my hospital bag packed. I think Adam might be pretty busy this weekend getting the basics in place just in case. It least it might quiet one part of my stressed brain...
I'll definitely keep you posted as we learn more. At only 28 weeks, we need to keep this baby put for at least another six weeks to avoid major complications. Send all your stay put vibes our way!