Friday, May 2, 2008

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

So yesterday I had my first formal performance review at work and came out feeling very disgruntled and unappreciated. Despite working my tail off and putting my all into impressing the company, I received a "met" rating. Now the company line is that this rating is excellent and what you should be aiming for, but that just didn't sit right with me.

Thinking it over last night and talking with Adam, I realized why this is bothering me so much. Aside from the fact that I busted my butt, I'm used to getting a high mark. All through school I've been a high achiever. So getting this "met" rating is like getting a B in school - it's great for most people, but just not good enough for me.

So today, I had my weekly meeting with my direct manager and I brought up my rating to get her opinion of my work. She assured me that I am indeed doing a phenomenal job. She said she was very happy with my work, and more importantly (according to her) pleased with my attitude and passion. Apparently that is where I truly exceed and that isn't ranked.

I asked her to think of ways that I could work towards a higher ranking and she gave me some great feedback about training and courses. She's going to think about some areas that she feels I could really excel at and some weaknesses that I could develop to help me along. I love my manager.

So although my rating has not changed, my attitude towards it has and I'm much less disgruntled after my chat. She assured me that I won't be penalized if I can't keep up my breakneck speed that I set for the first six months. In fact, she encouraged me to now fall into a rhythm that felt comfortable yet challenging. Have I told you how much I love my manager?

No comments: